Thursday, August 29, 2019

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year- NOT!

We all know the commercial where the parents are singing "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" while buying back to school supplies for their children. There are many reasons why I don't like that commercial.  One of the reasons is because it signals a major transitional time of year and what I have realized through my musings in the last few years is that I really don't like transitions.

Starting mid August to mid September my stomach is in knots, and I look toward my birthday at the end of September as a kind of finish line. When I get there I celebrate, the routines are more or less in place and there is a certain normalcy to life again. As a child I would have the yearly "back to school dream". I can't remember it exactly anymore but I do remember I had it every August and it filled me with dread.  As an adult I may not have the dream but I still have the dread. It is the thought of going from days of openness with unending possibilities to days of strict schedules and business.  Now that I have college students and highschoolers who are not homeschooled it is  knowing they will not be flitting in and out of the kitchen all day. It is knowing that even with the homeschoolers we have things we must get done, places we must be, people we must see. Not that more relaxed tone of summer is better, both are needed but it is the shift between the two that sends me into a tizzy. I reluctantly took the September calendar out yesterday and started plotting and planning, slowly and methodically shifting my mindset from a time of being to a time of doing.

The highschoolers are in school, the college boy is returning tomorrow, the working girl is at work and the homeschoolers and I are going to embrace this new norm with excitement.....next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment