Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Little Things

What a crazy spring we had! From the first day of spring until mid June our family celebrated two sacraments (First Communion & Confirmation), two theater productions, a dance recital, two baseball teams,swim lessons, a quick trip to Ireland for hubby and me, a weekend trip to Ohio for a college graduation, a prom, and 5 out of 6 children's birthdays (two of whom are still waiting for a party). Oh yea, and we rescued a 18 month old dog from Alabama! I am not complaining, really. I am just tired!

As I tried to keep my head above water the past few months my mantra became, "Blessed Chaos." The way we choose to look at things impacts the way we approach them. I am not saying I didn't break down in tears many times trying to juggle the schedule because that would be an out right lie. But I really did try to reframe my thought process as I was moving through the Blessed Chaos.  All these things  All these activities, events, celebrations,were good! Not just good but great! They are the stops and starts on the road to adulthood. Not only do we physically drive our children here, there and everywhere but we help them navigate their interests so they can find and use their God given gifts. It is one of the best parts of the "job" we have and we fill with parental pride as our children move through the major and minor milestones of their lives, struggling, stumbling and succeeding. How can we not?

However, I found out during this crazy spring season, that it wasn't the major milestones that shattered my maternal heart but it was what seemed to start as an ordinary event, on an ordinary day, that was an extraordinary experience for me. The 11 year old started in Boyscouts this spring. He was completing his requirement for his first advancement. My husband usually takes him to the scout meetings but for some reason I was in charge that day. My young scout was wrecked with anxiety all day about having to go talk to one of the leaders that night. When I say he was worried, we spent most of the our homeschooling day, going over his requirements and talking him through what he need to say and do. My husband spoke with him on the phone. I continued to reassure him throughout the day. But he was not convinced that this would work. I was present at the end of the meeting so I could be there if he needed me to help him navigate approaching the leaders. However, I made sure I was way in the background, just giving him little head nods and smiles as he waited for the leader to acknowledge him. Finally, the leader saw him and asked if he needed something. Tentatively, my son approached and started explaining all he had done to earn the rank of Scout. When they were done talking, son turned around and was beaming! The joy on his face and the realization that he accomplished something so challenging (not the rank of scout but the presentation of his work) was more than my heart could bare. I was given the gift of seeing a glimpse of the man he developing into. We say we are proud of our children, but at that moment, my heart was shattered with love and pride. Even now, writing this, I am brought to tears. By some miracle, I was able to drive him home and chit chat about the meeting and how well he did without breaking down in tears (that I saved for my husband later on!) The 11 year old was quite please with himself but I don't think he realized, like I realized, how much he accomplished that night!

In your times of Blessed Chaos try to hold onto those moments of pure joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment